17 March 2009

Facebook Users Anonymous

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I am addicted to Facebook. I like reading the updates of people's statuses. I like learning about new groups. I love how many old friends that I've connected with. And don't get me started on the apps and games. Plus it is another way to connect with Pigpen, which is nice, since our lives are so busy. However, I have a habit of spending way too much time logged in, which is an issue when I have homework due.

When I'm not on Facebook, I am being amazed by the advancing abilities of my children. Nick is almost walking. He's taking a few tentative steps on his own, but nothing that can really be considered walking. He still prefers crawling over anything, occasionally with the very amusing bear crawl. His pointing ability has improved, we can usually figure out what he is referring to within a couple of guesses if he's pointing to something that is not nearby. And then there is his vocabulary. He can say hi, hello, bye, buh-bye, mama, dada, dog, ball, that, there, and yum.

Gabe is doing amazing things too; however, at three and a half his learning is not at the rapid pace of a baby. He is able to mostly get dressed on his own. He's great with the computer, he needs a little assistance to turn it on and to open applications, but once he's in a game he has great control of the mouse and knows what to do to play the game. The educational games we have for him are really helping his vocabulary, as well as his ability to recognize words. His ability to say words that he used to struggle with are also improving. He's getting so big, but I still see him as a baby, and while I know it is important to ensure that he says words correctly, like noodle instead of noo-noo, it's hard not to feel a little sad when his babyisms disappear. The doubling of a word's first syllable was very common for Gabe when he was learning to speak.

In a week Nick will be one, and that makes me very sad too. Of course, I am excited by this milestone he is achieving, but I wish it hadn't arrived so quickly. It doesn't feel as though it has been a year. It seems like just yesterday I was in the hospital waiting to deliver him before being rushed in for an emergency c-section instead of the scheduled induction. And the long hours I had to endure while I waited to finally be able to hold my baby. He's changed so much in the past year, and we've learned a lot about who he is. I know there are many more wonderful years ahead, but this will be his only first. In the next year he will shift from being a baby to being a toddler. And as much as I look forward to watching him grow, I wish I could have a little more time with my baby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment